COMMUNICATIONS CONSULTANT — December 2004 to Present
- Extensive digital marketing from SEO and Pay-per-Click to Social Media and Display Network Advertising to improve the visibility and effectiveness of websites and create a complete online presence maximizing the defined “success” of the web site.
- Extensive knowledge and effective application of AdWords, YouTube, Google Display Network, Facebook Advertising, and Re-Marketing to create inbound marketing systems, convert sales, or build support for a cause or campaign. Use of Analytics to track success of campaigns.
- Design and implement marketing ROI systems to verify the return on current marketing initiatives, including administration of marketing budgets and transfer of expenditures to the most productive outlets.
- Create and implement marketing strategies and online marketing strategies for commercial and communications purposes.
- Creation of print, direct mail, and video promotional material.
- Develop and implement social media campaigns, including extensive use of paid advertising and targeted placements. Continuous creation and development of strategic content.
- Community Relations for major development projects, involving stakeholder engagement, building ‘support on the ground’, improving community relations, negotiations, and creating positive media. Extensive advice and consultation on political strategy and government relations.
- Implemented online opinion Polls and Surveys to assess interest in products or issues, including strategic surveys that can inform future positioning.
- Building ‘Permission Marketing/Inbound marketing’ campaigns through various platforms.
Clients include: Innovative Research Group, Ledcor Power(Ashlu Project) , Garibaldi at Squamish, Joan McIntyre MLA, BC Salmon Farmers, Rushbrooke Communications, Sustainet, Waterfront Landing, Sea to Sky Hotel, Canadian Outback Adventures, Squamish Developers Association, Boardwalk Gaming, Woodfibre LNG and others.
COMMUNITY RELATIONS/COMMUNICATIONS – Woodfibre LNG, Feb 2014 to February 2016
- Extensive work to build “On the ground” support for the proposed Woodfibre LNG facility, viagra buy including education pieces on the LNG industry and the project, monitored opposition, facilitated opinion polls and effective communications strategy, leading to a successful EAO Certificate.
- Set up and ran Facebook page and other social media (created content, monitored comments, ensured questions were answered), helped create print advertising, email newsletter. Used analytics to further inform strategy.
- Liaised with Municipal politicians and staff, Federal and Provincial Politicians.
- Built relationships with community members, stakeholders, and community organizations, including through the EAO consultation process.
I set up and run the “Responsible Fracking” Facebook page .
RESEARCH ANALYST –Innovative Research Group Aug. 2010 to Feb 2014
- In depth analysis of opinion polling data to create reports for clients. Studies and reports were designed to give an in-depth understanding of what people think on issues, why they think that way, and how their opinion could change.
- Focus Group Reports: Wrote in depth focus group reports on many topics from effectiveness of advertising and persuasion material to understanding what the public things about issues.
- Changed the way reports were done to make them faster to produce and more accurate.
- Work covered political campaigns at all levels, advocacy and lobby groups, controversial projects, corporate and sector reputations, and extensive work on Innovative’s “Understanding NIMBY” reports.
CAMPAIGN MANAGER – Jordan Sturdy MLA November 2012 to May 2013, January 2017 to May 2017
- Successfully managed Jordan Sturdy’s nomination campaign, and co-managed his election campaign, taking care of polling, strategy, GOTV and all communications in 2013
- Appointed Campaign Manager for 2017. Throughout the last two years we have been running extensive video campaigns on Youtube and Facebook to build awareness and support for Jordan Sturdy as we prepare for the 2017 election.
ACCOMMODATION MANAGER -Vancouver 2010 Organizing Committee–Aug. 2008 to March 2010
- Involved in finding Worker Accommodation in the Sea to Sky Area and managed 500 beds at Quest University over Olympic period
- Extensive communications work including Online Surveys to assess demand and interests of workers/volunteers, Created and implemented a Communications Strategy, including a video, AdWords and Facebook, to recruit beds.
OWNER / MANAGER – Inn on the Water/Squamish International Hostel–June 1996 –December 2004
Envisioned, designed, and successfully launched a brand new 80 bed inn and hostel on Highway 99 in Squamish, BC. Increased revenues by over 500% over the previous location. Along with a business partner, I was involved in all parts of design, construction, and the permit approval process of the creation of a brand new building. Managed day to day operations including a staff of up to 8, trained staff, maintained and upgraded the premises, etc.
MARKET RESEARCH ANALYST – Frost & Sullivan, London, England 1994 – 1995
- Researched and wrote extensive, detailed reports (300-400 pages) on aspects of European industry for companies in the industry and financial institutions. The reports were used by customers to implement competitive and entry strategies, assess market trends, and obtain financing.
- Reports covered legislative, technological, and marketing trends, market size, growth rates, forecasts, and pricing strategies for a number of market segments under each topic for each report. Topics included Specialty Paper, Recycled Paper, the Recycling Industry and some work in the packaging industry.
- During the 1993 Election campaign, set up one of the most advanced voter databases in Canada, designed phone survey and targeted direct mail based upon the results. Also wrote and designed campaign brochures, targeted direct mail, and print ads.
- Dealt with groups lobbying the Minister on local, national and British Columbia issues.
- Responded to correspondence from the Minister’s constituents on a wide variety of National issues.
- Researched and wrote quarterly reports to the riding. Instituted a regular survey where constituents could easily respond to survey questions.
BACHELOR of BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION – Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC
- Joint Major in Business Administration and Economics
- Emphasis on Marketing and Public Policy
- Additional courses on Opinion Polling, Computing Science, Math (Statistics) and Political Science.
Triathlon [2001 Canadian Age group team member, numerous top 5 finishes in races of over 400 competitors], Running [sub 33 minute 10km], Rock Climbing [leading to 5.11a], Politics (including extensive campaign experience). I have traveled to 34 countries on 4 continents.